Wine Is On Its Way
We're pleased to announce that all pre-orders shipped on Monday afternoon. Depending on where you are, you should receive your wine in the next 1-4 days. A couple of pointers for getting the maximum enjoyment out of your bottle of 2008 Doctor's Vineyard:
1. Don't open it the day it arrives - PLEASE! While we understand that the anticipation is killing you, wine (pinot especially) is subject to bottle shock during shipment. If you can hold out at least a week before you open your first bottle, we promise that the payoff will be well worth it.
2. The wine is ready to drink now and should age beautifully for the next 3-5 years. Pinot in general is not built to cellar for extended periods (although there are certainly many exceptions). We've waited beyond the 5-year window on some California pinots and the fruit was significantly diminished. So, drink up!
3. If you don't have a dedicated wine storage unit, store your wine in a dark place with a relatively consistent temperature and humidity. Most people use a closet that isn't subject to regular use.
4. If you're storing the wine at room temperature, pop it in the fridge for 15 minutes before you open it (don't wait more than 20-minutes!). That will bring the temperature down a few degrees, maximizing the flavors.
5. If you have pinot specific stemware, that's great. Otherwise, any clear glass with a wide bowl and rim will work wonders with this wine. The only time we've noticed a drop in flavor is when we tasted the wine in narrow glasses (those that are generally used for white wine). While crystal (Reidel, etc.) is great, we've gotten very good results using our Ikea glasses with a wide bowl and rim.
6. Exercise a little patience - one of the really great things about this wine is that as it warms and opens in the air, it develops a beautiful floral note, usually after 15-20 minutes in the glass. Make sure you set aside some of the wine in your glass to see if you can pick up this unusual enhancement.
Finally, and most importantly, make sure you take a moment to enjoy your first bottle of Bruliam. Many of you have been on this journey with us since the very beginning. So, open the bottle with a special meal, a special someone, or any sort of special occasion. Or, if you’re like us, open the bottle to celebrate getting the kids to bed on time and the resulting momentary calm.
Make sure to drop us a note to tell us your impressions of our first vintage. Or, even better, snap a picture of yourself with your bottle for our Brigade page.